Want the next video sent right to your phone as soon as it’s available?

Text the word DIDYOUKNOW to 64600

Question: A tenant of mine wants to have two assistive animals in his rental unit. I know I have to allow a seeing-eye dog, but why would a person need two animals? Do I have to allow that?

Answer: Yes, if the person can provide verification for the need for both assistive animals, then you have to grant the reasonable accommodation and permit the tenant to keep both animals.

While under the Americans with Disabilities Act – a service animal only qualifies if they assist with a person’s physical disabilities, that is not the case under state or federal fair housing laws. Under fair housing laws, a person may need a service animal to treat a mental disability such post-traumatic stress disorder or anxiety.

Therefore, in the context of fair housing. it is possible that a tenant would need both a service animal for their physical disability and one for their mental disability. Also, it’s possible that they would need more than one animal for different physical or mental disabilities.

Note: Information contained in this article is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. You should always contact an attorney for legal advice and not rely on information published here.

Arizona Real Estate Investors Association Video Project

AZREIA Real Estate Investor “U” – A series of dozens of education videos on topics important to you as a real estate investor. These videos would be in 1-2 minute snippets focus on narrow topics. Major areas to be rolled out over time will include landlord/tenant issues, accounting questions, title and escrow actions, asset protection, estate planning, self-directed IRAs and others. The content will come from trusted sources giving you confidence in the information. The vision is the information contained in these videos will be searchable so you can find information you need when you need it.