Title insurance is a valuable product that protects the title interest of property owners. Many consumers are not aware of the items they are being protected against. Here are a few:
- Title insurance insures the title interests of property owners and lenders against legitimate or false title claims by previous owners or lien holders.
- At Chicago Title, we access, assemble, analyze and distribute title information, in addition to handling the escrow and closing process.
- Title problems are discovered in more than one–third of residential real estate transactions. These “defects” must be resolved prior to closing. The most common problems are existing liens, unpaid mortgages, and recording errors of names, addresses or legal descriptions.
- An owner’s title insurance policy continues for as long as the owner has an interest in the property; and the premium is paid only once, at closing.
- Title insurance is different from other forms of insurance because it insures against events that occurred before the policy is issued, as opposed to insuring against events in the future, as health, property or life insurance do.
- Chicago Title relies on a thorough search of existing records to identify possible defects, in order to resolve them prior to issuing a policy. We perform intensive and expensive work up-front, to minimize issues that might arise after closing.
As the largest title company in the nation and a Fortune 500 company, Chicago Title is committed to protecting you and we have the resources to do just that! If you would like to learn more about how we can help you, please do not hesitate to reach out!
This article offers a brief description of insurance coverages, products and services and is meant for informational purposes only. Actual coverages may vary by state, company or locality. You may not be eligible for all of the insurance products, coverages or services described. For exact terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations, please contact us.
By Lisa Tyler, National Escrow Admin FNTG Title Group/National Escrow Administration